Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Me, The most fierce lecturer???

Got a comment from one of my student as a representative of their group saying that, they can't understand what I'm lecturing due to ketakutan melampau...They said that, they were so afraid of me, that they can't absorb anything in class. Hhhmmm, I try to rationalize the reason..

Yes, I am sort of fierce sikit2, and most all students, even the junior know me as a most fierce lecturer in our faculty, word of mouth of course telling from the senior generation to their junior:)) I am very strict in class especially on the attendance. Late to class; they'll have to 'pump in', absent to class without valid reason, they'll have to answer all questions on the next lecture (the reason here is, even if they were not attending the class, they need to grasp the topics through their friends or anything). And most prominent part here is I'm teaching electronics, which is ghost subject, where you can't see the current flowing, and all you need to do is imagine...imagine...imagine... and of course a very good theoretical background on related subjects.

I feel responsible in fulfilling their parents' hopes, that one day their not-so-good kids will turn to be someone on the same level with the selected students in IPTA, etc. and I also realize that this is an IPTS where they pay huge amount of money every semester to get a better education. So, it should worth the value they're paying right???

After some thinking, I went to the class yesterday and try to loosen up a lil bit (but still depending on their commitment). Last week I told them to do the tutorial given, and that practice makes perfect...So, during the class I ask them to solve the tutorial in front of the class...and to my surprise almost half of the class didn't do the tutorial!!!! Definitely, I burst out to an uncontrolled anger and really upset with them...

How could they understand my subject if they refused to do their homework and didn't seek my advice...I felt frustrated, tired and really upset with them.I feel like they don't appreciate my eagerness in teaching them not to mention all the efforts I put in preparing the notes, tutorial etc (of course, this is not the time to be emotional, this is not about me...) This is the difference between malay and non malay student... They spend most of their time complaining lecturers, play game and do useless things (there are still few students, good students of course, who are willing to study) and being so rude and arrogant in class...

So, is it due to the ketakutan melampau as they used to named it, is the main reason for them not being able to understand my subject???? Malas nak pikir...I'll remain myself for as long as I think I do the right thing...

1 comment:

suria said...

hehe..terkenang masa dolu2..baca pun dah rasa tension :)